Re: shared_buffers documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: shared_buffers documentation
Date
Re: shared_buffers documentation  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I think this advice is badly outdated.
Yeah.
> s/tens/hundreds/ might be a good idea at a minimum,
+1
> but I'm thinking we might want to also mention the
> one-quarter-of-system-memory heuristic.
Given how many people seem to find that a good guideline, it seems
like we should.  I wonder if we should add any hints telling people
what they might see as problems if they are too far one way or the
other.  (Or does that go beyond the scope of what makes sense in
TFM?)
-Kevin