Re: Win32 Postgresql Command Line Password - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Jensen
Subject Re: Win32 Postgresql Command Line Password
Date
List pgsql-admin
This might not apply to the win32 version. But in the Unix version you
can
put this information in a .pgpass file. This enables you to keep
passwords
on all user accounts and still be able to automate tasks.

There is a number of permission/ownership requirements on this file in
the Unix version. These might not be compatible with win32 so use at
your
own perril ;-). And check the manual ...

I currently use this approach on a Linux box for automating the
maintenance
tasks through cron jobs.

Cheers,
John

>>> "Iain" <iain@mst.co.jp> 08-02-2005 08:37:54 >>>
I think that's the best way to do it.

Rather than leave passwords lying around in script files, it might be
best
to trust a specific (specially created) user when running from a
specific
location on the specific database. Then you just have to keep that user

account secure. I can imagine how it would work wth linux, but am not
sure
what problems youmay face under windows.

The only other alternative I can imagine is to use another program to
type
the password in automatically. I've never done it but I'm sure such a
beast
must exist.

The long and the short of it is (at least upto 7.4.6 - I don't know
about
later versions) thereis no way to specify the password on the
commandline.

Regards
Iain