Re: Trying to Tunning DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Manfred Koizar
Subject Re: Trying to Tunning DB
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:15:37 +0200, "Cristina Surroca" <cris@dmcid.net>
wrote:
> It hasn't any delete, only inserts (more than 10^7) and many updates.

10^7 inserts per day?  If it has updates, it implicitly has deletes.
How *many* updates?

>    The thing is that it takes too much time in execute.

We can help you better, if you show us some actual SQL.

>  b.. setAutocommit(false), ( in my case I don't need transactions).

There is no I_dont_need_transactions mode in Postgres.  You always
have transactions.  Either you control them or Postgres performs each
statement in its own transaction.  As far as I understand, autocommit
off means that you don't have to say BEGIN to start a transaction and
the transaction stays active until you COMMIT.  Your application or
JDBC might do this automatically.

>    But in my case, would you think vacuum and analyze are good options?

Definitely!

> Can I  also disable the catalog?

I don't know what you mean, but I am pretty sure, you can't.

Servus
 Manfred