Re: Add a ROWCOUNT to the output of a select. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Harald Fuchs
Subject Re: Add a ROWCOUNT to the output of a select.
Date
Re: Add a ROWCOUNT to the output of a select.  ("Robins Tharakan" <tharakan@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
In article <36af4bed0805131818p147bb440oa4c1944939e3b313@mail.gmail.com>,
"Robins Tharakan" <tharakan@gmail.com> writes:

> While we could always check for the query performance reasons, I
> rather think that this is an overkill for the purpose of mere line
> numbers.

> If such queries don't change frequently, you could be better off
> using a simple function that instead adds a 'rownumber' field to the
> output of the inner SQL query. The 'rownumber' could instead be
> calculated by simply incrementing it within a FOR loop for each row.

I think a sequence is much simpler:

create temp sequence tmp;
select nextval('tmp') as rownum,   contactdate
from   myTable
where   contactdate > '2007-06-30 23:59:59'
order by   contactdate;