Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Fuchs
Subject Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <12487.1206565567@sss.pgh.pa.us>,
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

>> I note that we can continue to have the current executables stashed in
>> PREFIX/share/libexec and let the "pg" executable exec them.

> Not share/ surely, since these are executables, but yeah.

> This brings me to the idea that "pg" is a very small stupid program
> that just tries to match its first argument against a filename in
> PREFIX/libexec/postgresql.  If it finds a match it execs that program
> with the remaining args, else it fails.

Add an optional command-line argument for specifying an alternative
PREFIX, and the problem of multiple PostgreSQL versions on one host is
solved as well.