Re: PostgreSQL and XML - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Gray
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and XML
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:59:14 +0000, Mario Splivalo wrote:

> Can I use XPath queries in any form to retrive data from XML documents and
> 'transfer' them to table-like sets?

 Basically, yes - if you look at the README for contrib/xml2 in the
PostgreSQL source distribution (v8.0.1) there is an example using the
xpath_table function which allows you to run several XPath expressions in
parallel against a set of rows and turn the result into a table. To use
this functionality you will need to build the contrib/xml2 mocule - your
machine will need libxml (http://xmlsoft.org/)

> Something as MSSQL's OPENXML keyword?

In a way (from reading half a webpage) - I'm not a user of MSSQL so I
can't really compare against how their functions work!

Regards

John