Re: Adding a suffix array index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Troels Arvin
Subject Re: Adding a suffix array index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Oleg,

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 15:35 +0300, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> your project looks very attractive.
Thanks.

> In principle, suffix array should be implemented using GiST framework.

But in a previous conversation between the two of us, you wrote that the
GiST wasn't suitable for this problem? I would very much like to use GiST
instead of having to create a whole new index infrastructure (if that's
the alternative).

> String Btree should be very useful for your problem.

I thought that string b-trees were only usable for texts with natural
stops (word boundaries), as opposed to very long, contiguous sequences. Am
I mistaken?

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark