Re: poor performance in migrated database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Troels Arvin
Subject Re: poor performance in migrated database
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:52:15 -0800, Carlos Lopez wrote:

> I have migrated a database from MS SQL to a postgresSQL database, but
> when running it, the results are very slow (and unusable) which is the
> only reason we don't entirely move to postgresSQL.

Have you run ANALYZE lately? (See manual.)

Do you know how to use EXPLAIN? (See manual.) If so: Please post an
example query which is slow, and the corresponding output from EXPLAIN.

Have you tried turning your random_page_cost a bit down? (My experience
its value should generally be lessened.)

Have you read
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html ?

> The biggest table has about 300k records (isn't it too little for having
> performance problems?)

That should be no problem.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark