Re: [BUGS] 7.4: CHAR padding inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Troels Arvin
Subject Re: [BUGS] 7.4: CHAR padding inconsistency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:40:30 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> AFAICS the Oracle and SQL Server behaviors are at least as inconsistent
> as our own.

> If trailing spaces are significant during concatenation,
> why aren't they significant to LENGTH()?

Oracle _does_ count the trailing spaces in it's LENGTH()-function. MSSQL's
rules certainly look strange.

> I'd agree with changing bpcharlen() to not count trailing spaces,
> I think.  That would be consistent with ignoring them in other contexts.

Why not just change the behaviour back to what it used to be like? I see
no justification for the change: It may break old queries in subtle ways
and doesn't make the CHAR-type any more consistent than before.

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark