7.4: CHAR padding inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Troels Arvin
Subject 7.4: CHAR padding inconsistency
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

I read about the padding-of-CHAR-values changes in the release notes for
7.4.

Making PostgreSQL less standard compliant is sad; I also disagree
with the statement that trimming of trailing white-space is what people
expect.

What's worse, and this may be classified as an error:

create table chartest(col char(10) not null);
insert into chartest values ('AAA');

select character_length(col) from chartest;
 character_length
------------------
               10

select character_length(col || 'hey') from chartest;
 character_length
------------------
                6

SELECT CHARACTER_LENGTH(col) <
  CHARACTER_LENGTH(col||'hey') from chartest;
 ?column?

The last two results are horrifying, in my opinion, especially when you
consider them in concert: Concatenating a value with another value
decreases its length...

--
Greetings from Troels Arvin, Copenhagen, Denmark