Re: regex back-references? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Blakeley
Subject Re: regex back-references?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 1:30 AM -0400 8/21/2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>Michael Blakeley <mike@blakeley.com> writes:
>>  Does postgresql support regex back-references?
>
>There's no such function at the SQL level, AFAIR.
>
>I'd recommend writing a function in either plperl or pltcl, according
>to your taste.  Both offer pretty much all the string-bashing
>functionality you could possibly want ...

Sounds like a plan - but I can't seem to create a function - can
anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? A brief check of the archives
didn't turn up any hints...

Solaris 2.6, Postgresql 7.0.1, Perl 5.6, gcc 2.95.2.

After compiling and installing with
    ./configure  --with-perl --without-tcl

psql=# CREATE FUNCTION pltest(VARCHAR) RETURNS VARCHAR AS
    'return $_[0]' LANGUAGE 'plperl';
ERROR:  Unrecognized language specified in a CREATE FUNCTION:
'plperl'.  Recognized languages are sql, C, internal and the created
procedural languages.

Can I check for the presence of a .so somewhere? It seems to have
installed a couple in $PGSQL/lib:

-rwxr--r--   1 root     other     295784 Aug 21 12:47 plperl.so*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other     690992 Aug 21 12:47 plpgsql.so

Also,

psql=# select * from pg_language;
  lanname  | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lancompiler
  internal | f       | f            |             0 | n/a
  C        | f       | f            |             0 | /bin/cc
  sql      | f       | f            |             0 | postgres
(3 rows)

Do I need to tell postgres to rebuild pg_language, perhaps?

thanks,
-- Mike