Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date
List pgsql-performance
> I'm curious, why do you think that's serious ? What do you really expect

    Simply because I don't like VB non .NET, but C# is a much much better
language, and even VB.NET is decent.

> to do in the stored procedure ? Anything of consequence will seriously
> degrade performance if you select it in say a million rows.

    Well, if such a thing needed to be done, like processing a lot of rows to
yield a small result set, it certainly should be done inside the server,
but as another poster said, being really careful about memory usage.

    But, that was not my original idea ; I find that even for small functions
plsql is a bit ugly compared to the usual suspects like Python and others
; unfortunately I think there is overhead in converting the native
postgres datatype to their other language counterparts, which is why I did
not try them (yet).