Re: How to analyze load average ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Felder
Subject Re: How to analyze load average ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:27:18 -0500, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:

> Although the OP mentioned he's using ext4, so I suppose he's running
> Linux
> (although I know there was some ext4 support e.g. in FreeBSD).
> Still, the load average 0.88 means the system is almost idle, especially
> when there's no I/O activity etc.

Ahh, I didn't see the mention of ext4 initially. I tend to just use iostat
for getting a better baseline of what's truly happening on the system. At
least on FreeBSD (not sure of Linux at the moment) the iostat output also
lists CPU usage in the last columns and if "id" (idle) is not close to
zero it's probably OK. :-)