Re: Where is diskchecker.pl ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Where is diskchecker.pl ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug  6, 2012 at 11:26:46AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 04:11:21PM +0200, jg wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The PostgreSQK documentation refers to diskchecker.pl on the page http://brad.livejournal.com/2116715.html
> >> But on this page, the given link for diskchecker.pl does not exist anymore.
> >> After some unsuccessfull queries on Google to find the missing file,
> >> I wonder if one of you have a lin or a copy of this file.
> >
> > Script URL is:
> >
> >         https://gist.github.com/3172656
> >
> > Documentation updated.
>
> Why are we putting such a link directly in the documentation, where
> it's really hard to change it if we have to, since it's out in many
> versions already? Shouldn't we be working to remove such dependencies
> rather than add more of them?

> Also, are we sure github gist urls are permanent? I know the temporary
> gists aren't, but I guess maybe the logged-in ones are?

Well, the story behind this commit was that the web site we pointed to
originally had a broken download URL, and the author told me he didn't
control that page anymore, so I added a link to the github download page
he supplied.  Then it seems he got them to update the download link on
the page, so I just reverted the commit.

> For longer terms, perhaps we should set up an URL forwarder or
> something that the docs can link through in the cases where we really
> need this, so we can more easily update the URLs?

Well, the problem there is that they don't get the real URL unless they
go through our system, which seems "closed".