Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen
Subject Re: Select for update with offset interferes with concurrent transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 20:04:31 +0100, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net>
wrote:

> On 2/1/2011 12:51 PM, Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen wrote:
>
>> So, AFAICT I am afraid it would not work in the general case for my
>> project :( .
>> However, it might be useful in somebody else's project :) .
>>

> No, I didn't think it would work for you, yours looks much more
> complicated than main.  Just out of curiosity, have you looked at PgQ?

I did look around for some queuing systems a year ago, I am not sure if
that one crossed my path, but didn't find any that I thought would work
for me, which might just be due to the fact that I had just started with
database programming (which was also the reason I chose a framework like
Django for most of it; the FOR UPDATE SQL is one of less than 10 locations
where I use raw SQL in my system, because Django could not provide the
functionality) and I just did not realize that it could help me.

Regarding PgQ, based on a quick skimming I am not sure how it would fit in
my case. This may be because the tutorial leaves (IMO) a bit too much up
in the air regarding how the system it is working in is organized, at
least for a relative beginner as myself, and also not how a similar
alternative system would look. A small complete example showing all the
tables involved, the client(s), the server(s), and the operations
performed, might have helped.

--
Sincerely,
Yngve N. Pettersen