Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pierre C
Subject Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Hannu Krosing wrote:
>> Pulling the plug should not corrupt a postgreSQL database, unless it was
>> using disks which lie about write caching.
>>
> Didn't we recently put the old wife's 'the disks lied' tale to bed in
> favour of actually admiting that some well known filesystems and
> saftware raid systems have had trouble with their write barriers?

I put a cheap UPS on the home server (which uses Software RAID) precisely
because I don't really trust that stuff, and there is also the RAID5 write
hole... and maybe the RAID1 write hole too... and installing a UPS takes
less time that actually figuring out if the system is power-loss-safe.