Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pierre Frédéric Caillaud
Subject Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Date
List pgsql-performance
> "high CPU usage" It might very well be "high IO usage".

    Try this :

    Copy (using explorer, the shell, whatever) a huge file.
    This will create load similar to ALTER TABLE.
    Measure throughput, how much is it ?

    If your server blows up just like it did on ALTER TABLE, you got a IO
system problem.
    If everything is smooth, you can look into other things.

    How's your fragmentation ? Did the disk ever get full ? What does the
task manager say (swap in/out, disk queue lengthn etc)

    PS : try a separate tablespace on another disk.