Re: Partitioning / Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Date
List pgsql-performance

> If you make the assertion that you are transferring equal or less
> session data between your session server (lets say an RDBMS) and the
> app server than you are between the app server and the client, an out
> of band 100Mb network for session information is plenty of bandwidth.

    So if you count on a mean page size of 6-8 kbytes gzipped, that will
prevent you from caching the N first results of the Big Slow Search Query
in a native object in the user session state (say, a list of integers
indicating which rows match), so you will have to redo the Big Slow Search
Query everytime the user clicks on Next Page instead of grabbing a set of
cached row id's and doing a fast SELECT WHERE id IN ...
    This is the worst case ... I'd gzip() the row id's and stuff them in the
session, that's always better than blowing up the database with the Big
Slow Search Query everytime someone does Next Page...

> This also represents OLTP style traffic, which postgresql is pretty
> good at.  You should easily be able to get over 100Tps.  100 hits per
> second is an awful lot of traffic, more than any website I've managed
> will ever see.

    On the latest anandtech benchmarks, 100 hits per second on a blog/forum
software is a big bi-opteron server running dotNET, at 99% load... it's a
lot if you count only dynamic page hits.