Re: autovacuum and temp tables support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: autovacuum and temp tables support
Date
Re: autovacuum and temp tables support  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>
>> our client complained about slow query, which involves temporary tables.
>> Analyzing them manually solved the problem. I don't remember
>> arguments against temporary tables support by autovacuum. I'd
>> appreciate any
>> pointers.
>
> Autovacuum can't process temp tables; they could reside in a backend's
> private temp buffers (local memory, not shared).

On general thought I've had is that it would be nice if the first
attempt to SELECT against a table with no statistics would trigger an
automatic ANALYZE by the backend on which the query was executed.
It's pretty common to populate a table using INSERT, or CTAS, or COPY
and then try to immediately run a query against it, and I've often
found that it's necessary to insert manual analyze statements in there
to get decent query plans.

...Robert