Re: PostgreSQL on multi-CPU systems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Graichen
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on multi-CPU systems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> writes:
>> I have tested PostgreSQL with 2-4 CPU linux boxes. In summary, 2 CPU
>> was a big win, but 4 was not. I'm not sure where the bottle neck is
>> though.

> Our not-very-good implementation of spin locking (using select() to
> wait) might have something to do with this.  Sometime soon I'd like to
> look at using POSIX semaphores where available, instead of spinlocks.

did anyone from here follow the discussion about postgresql on
smp machines on the linux kernel malinglist in the last days?
(just as an info)

thomas.graichen@innominate.com                                                        innominate AG
                           the linux architects

tel: +49-30-308806-13   fax: -77             http://www.innominate.com