Re: Need Postgre 7.1.2 - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From laurenm1@netcourrier.com
Subject Re: Need Postgre 7.1.2
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
>Where did you get the "PostgreSQL 7.1.2-3 sources" from?  Maybe the
>7.1.2-3 binary is available at the same place?  Note that the cygipc
>binary can be used -- there is no need to build cygipc yourself.

I can't remember exactly where I got these sources from, but indeed I also got the binary. Nevertheless, when trying to
runit initdb just hangs though ipc-daemon is running.
initdb hangs at
"Creating template1 database in /usr/data/base/1"
Then when I kill postgres.exe, I have:
"initdb failed.
Removing /usr/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.896."
and sometimes I have one more line mentionning IPC daemon.

>> After copying libcygipc.a from /usr/local/lib to /lib, ./configure
>> goes fine.
>
>There is no need to do the above -- the linker will find libcygipc.a in
>/usr/local/lib.

Before I copy libcygipc.a to /lib, ./configure stops with an error. In config.log, it says:
"/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lcygipc"

>> But then make gives this error:
>> cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
>       ^^^^^^^
>> cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
>       ^^^^^^^
>
>The above are just warnings and can be safely ignored.  So, it appears
>that you have successfully built your own PostgreSQL 7.1.2 unless you
>are getting others errors.

I was not clear enough, this was the warning that came before some errors preventing from building. I had not checked
config.logthough before make, it contains a numbre of warnings and errors such as:
confdefs.h:6:24: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
cpp0: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
cpp0: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
configure:6562: `rl_completion_append_character' undeclared (first use in this function)

and the make return some errors as:
"../../../../src/include/config.h:680:15: missing terminating
../../../../src/include/config.h:35:24: possible start of un
teral
../../../../src/include/config.h:15:1: unterminated #ifndef
In file included from ../../../../src/include/postgres.h:48,"
and some more undefined.

>> If anybody can help on this particular problem, or tell me where to
>> find either an old cygwin distribution coming with pre-compiled 7.1.2
>> or 7.1.2 binaries going fine with current cygwin distribution, that
>> would be a great help.
>
>I happen to have 7.1.2-1, 7.1.2-3, and 7.1.3-2 lying around.  I can send
>you one of them.  However, I would really prefer that you solve the
>above build problems (if any) and use your own build.  I can't be in the
>"business" of supporting multiple Cygwin PostgreSQL versions.  I'm not
>getting paid enough from the current version to warrant it. :,)

Sorry to bother you with this.
I have a really strong need of running PostgreSQL 7.1.2.
Any help you may give me to build 7.1.2 is greatly appreciated.
And in the end, if I don't manage to build it or run the binaries I got, I would also greatly appreciate if you don't
mindtoo much to send me those binaries.

Anyway I hope I am not too much of a nuisance.

Michael

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 € TTC/min)