Re: CallableStatement.getParameterMetaData() throws exception for valid {call ...} statement - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: CallableStatement.getParameterMetaData() throws exception for valid {call ...} statement
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
> According to the Java 7 API it seems this interface is mainly associated with
> PreparedStatements and lucky to get any information from a CallableStatement.

Well a CallableStatement *is* a PreparedStatement

> From the context of your question, it seems what you are looking for is the
> information about the function, parameters, etc. When I first looked at this
> I searched the database for the newly created sum_n_product() function to
> find information about it. It seemed to be abscured. Perhaps that information
> stored in the database is the answer to your question rather then this interface.

Yes, that's what I'm doing when getParameterMetaData() fails. But it makes things a bit more complicated
This is part of my SQL client that supports multiple DBMS and offers a DBMS independent way to call procedures that
have OUT parameters.

I was just curious. Many JDBC drivers don't even implement getParameterMetaData() but the error message in Postgres'
exceptionis misleading because there is such a function - and the fact that it works _after_ registering an OUT
parametermakes it even more confusing.

Thomas