Re: Can't drop a view ("view does not exist") that has an entry in "INFORMATION_SCHEMA.views" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Can't drop a view ("view does not exist") that has an entry in "INFORMATION_SCHEMA.views"
Date
In response to Re: Can't drop a view ("view does not exist") that has an entry in "INFORMATION_SCHEMA.views"  ("Klaus Hofeditz ]project-open[" <klaus.hofeditz@project-open.com>)
List pgsql-general
Klaus Hofeditz ]project-open[ wrote on 17.11.2014 23:10:
>> > Hi guys,
>> > I need to drop a view in order  to alter a type of a column: numeric(12,1) ->  numeric(12,2):
>> >
>> > ERROR:  cannot alter type of a column used by a view or rule DETAIL:  rule _RETURN on view "TransTasksCube"
dependson column "billable_units"

>> > Trying to delete it, I get:
>> >
>> > projop=# drop view TransTasksCube;
>> > ERROR:  view "transtaskscube" does not exist
>> >
>> > FYI: VIEW also shows up in table INFORMATION_SCHEMA.views:
>> >
>> > projop=# select table_name from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.views where table_name like '%Trans%';
>> >    table_name
>> >  TransTasksCube
>> > (1 row)
>>
>> You need double quotes because of the upper case letters:
>>
>> drop view "TransTasksCube";
>>

> Hi Guillaume  splendid - tx! ./k

Here is a detailed explanation on why you need this:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

But in general you should avoid quoted identifiers completely.