Re: Tuple Max Size on 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Tuple Max Size on 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
David Scholes <david@cfourusa.com> writes:

> When trying to do a large INSERT to a table in PostgreSQL 7.1, I get the
> following error:
> Tuple is too big: size 32112, max size 8140
>
> This limit is being hit both from Perl and Coldfusion.  I am using the
> drivers that came with the 7.1 distribution.  We are running on RedHat 7.0
> and I used the RPM's to install.
>
> My understanding was that this limit was removed in 7.1.  Any ideas?

It's possible that the client drivers you're using weren't updated to
reflect the unlimited tuple size in 7.1.  I know this happened with
the Perl driver just before 7.1 came out (ie it checked the tuple size
on the client end and barfed if it was over 8k), but I'm not sure
whether it was fixed in the release version.  Don't know anything
about the CF client (I assume that's OBDC) but it may have a similar
problem.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,