Re: implicit analyze on vacuum? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: implicit analyze on vacuum?
Date
List pgsql-general
culley <culley@easystreet.com> writes:

> couple of questions about vacuum:
>
> If you run vacuum nightly does that mean you do not need to run vacuum
> analyze? is analyze implicit?

No.  Running VACUUM ANALYZE will do everything needed, though (VACUUM
is implicit in VACUUM ANALYZE).

> I've set up a job to vacuum my databases nightly but the account
> running the job doesn't have super-user permissions and it blows up on
> all the pg_ tables. Is there any harm in transferring ownership of
> these tables away from a super-user?

It would be much better to run the VACUUM job as the PG superuser or
an account with superuser privs.  I would think changing perms on pg_*
could lead to severe security holes.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863