Re: help me... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: help me...
Date
List pgsql-sql
The world rejoiced as ron_tabada@yahoo.com (ron_tabada) wrote:
> Hello everyone, Good day! Could anyone help me translate this query
> in Microsoft Access to Postgresql. I'm having a difficulty. Pls...
>
> Query1:
> SELECT items.description, Sum(supplieditems.qty) AS SumOfqty
> FROM items INNER JOIN supplieditems ON items.itemno = supplieditems.itemno
> GROUP BY items.description;
>
> Query2:
> SELECT [items].[description], Sum([customer].[qty]) AS SumOfqty
> FROM (items INNER JOIN OtherItem ON [items].[itemno]=[OtherItem].[Itemno]) INNER JOIN customer ON
> [OtherItem].[Itemno]=[customer].[itemcode]
> GROUP BY [items].[description];
>
> Query3:
> SELECT [Query1].[SumOfqty], [Query2].[SumOfqty], [Query1]![SumOfqty]-[Query2]![SumOfqty] AS remain
> FROM Query1, Query2;
>
> I have translated Query1 and Query2 in POSTGRESQL but I don't know
> how to implement Query3.

Apparently you have discovered the nearest equivalent to "VIEWs" in
Access.

I can suggest two ways:

1.  Define "query1" and "query2" as PostgreSQL views, as with...
 create view query1 as     SELECT items.description, Sum(supplieditems.qty) AS SumOfqty    FROM items INNER JOIN
supplieditemsON items.itemno = supplieditems.itemno    GROUP BY items.description;

 create view query2 as [omitted details].
 Query 3 should work perfectly well when it has the two views to work with.

2.  Subselects...
SELECT Query1.SumOfqty, Query2.SumOfqty, Query1.SumOfqty-Query2.SumOfqty AS remainFROM    (select stuff for query 1) as
query1,  (select stuff for query 2) as query2;

Approach #1. seems more appropriate, as it uses the views to keep the
queries all simple.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html