Re: embedded postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: embedded postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
After a long battle with technology, jiniusuk@yahoo.co.uk (jini us), an earthling, wrote:
> It has been suggested that I would have to pay
> $10,000 one off licence fee if I include mysql in my
> app.
> Another person suggested that mysql is free to include
> in my app, so I am simply not sure over the licence
> costs of mysql.

There is a ready way of disambiguating _that_ part; were you planning
to license your application under the terms of the GPL?  If so, then
there is license compatibility, and you oughtn't need to pay anything.

If you were NOT planning to use the GPL, then you'll need to for
license fees of on the order of $500 per "server," where presumably
each deployment of your application attracts a license charge.

A $10K arrangement sounds like a minimum charge where you might be
buying 30 or so licenses up front, and would get a pretty steep
discount on the basis of prepaying for licenses.  (SolidTech went to a
model similar to that; they used to sell licenses for about
$150/server, and some users were quite chagrined when they discovered
they couldn't get small numbers of licenses anymore...)  But that's
only a wild guess; the company doesn't publish that information
publicly on their pricing web page.

In any case, it is really not a matter that would be properly
addressed here; you really should contact their sales department to
get authoritative details.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html