problems with locale settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manuel Sugawara
Subject problems with locale settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Starting postgres as part as of the normal boot process of my db
server (up2date FC3) leads to an ``unusable'' database since it does
not set the locale properly. For instnace:

test=# select 'í' ~ '[[:lower:]]';?column?
----------f
(1 fila)

However, starting postgres as
  $ LANG=es_MX pg_ctl -D ~/data start

leads the desired result:

test=# select 'í' ~ '[[:lower:]]';?column?
(1 fila)

There's something wired here since my (fast) reading of the sources
makes me thing that postgres should honor the pg_control's lc_type
locale settings. BTW, I couldn't reproduce this in another machine
using pg 8.0.1.

Regards,
Manuel.