Re: Slow query in 8.2.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Manuel Sugawara
Subject Re: Slow query in 8.2.0
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> 8.2 is a good bit more conservative than previous releases about
> optimizing views involving volatile functions, so I'm wondering whether
> that could have anything to do with it ...

Oh well, you are indeed right, I went through the whole view hierarchy
and replaced all volatile function calls (I used to use a trick
defining a function to avoid a join that used to perform better in
earlier versions) with explicit JOINs, also I relabeled some functions
that were indeed STABLE and now everything is working fine. I was
amazed that some of those views predates Postgres support of JOINs, I
guees we have been using Postgres for a very long time :-).

Just out of curiosity, why the change?

Regards,
Manuel.