Re: XFS File systems and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: XFS File systems and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
bruc@stone.congenomics.com (Robert E. Bruccoleri) writes:

> I have been using PostgreSQL and XFS file systems on SGI's for many
> years, and PostgreSQL is fast. Dumping and loading 100GB of table
> files takes less than one day elapsed (provided there is no other
> activity on that database -- large amounts of transactional activity
> will slow things down).  I always turn off fsync.                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then your performance numbers are largely useless for those of us that
like our data.  ;)

The point at issue is the performance of fsync() on journaling
filesystems...

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,