Re: Easy way of pruning pg_data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Easy way of pruning pg_data?
Date
List pgsql-general
David Link <dlink@soundscan.com> writes:

> What are those files?  my $PGDATA/base only contains subdirectores, one
> for each database name.  Are those your database names?

Recent versions of Postgres (since 7.1 IIRC) store the databases by
IOD number instead of by name (to avoid certain problems with
renaming).

The only way to "prune" the files under your data/base directory is to
VACUUM and to drop and recreate your indexes, both of which will free
up space.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863