AIX 5.3 and PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Christopher Browne
Subject AIX 5.3 and PostgreSQL...
Date
List pgsql-ports
Today, we had a bit of a breakthru vis-a-vis AIX 5.3; after installing
GCC 4.0.1, this allowed PostgreSQL 7.4.8 to compile and install
cleanly.  This included the handling of pthreads, needful for Slony-I
to function.

There is still a problem, specifically with the handling of Unix
Domain Sockets.  The previously noticed problem with socket address
structure sizing is indeed a problem.  Here's a little program that
demonstrates it...

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/un.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
int main (int argc, char *argv[]) {
        struct sockaddr_storage a;
        struct sockaddr_un b;
        printf("Size of sockadr_storage: %d\n", sizeof(a));
        printf ("Size of sockaddr_un:%d\n", sizeof(b));

        if (sizeof(a) >= sizeof(b))
                printf ("Conformant to RFC 3493\n");
        else
                printf ("Non-conformant to RFC 3493\n");
}

Without UDS, regression tests won't run.  (Feel free to tell me that
I'm wrong, and that there's an option that will cause it to use a
localhost interface...)

However, I was able to, with the use of GCC 4.0.1, get PG 7.4.8 to
work to the point where I was able to run one the base Slony-I "duct
tape" tests, and that worked fine.

In a way, it turns out to merely be an inconvenience as we're running
nearly all services across TCP/IP anyways, so that the lack of UDS
isn't crippling.

But it's obviously a non-conformance to the RFC, so we're starting to
push it upstream...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html