Re: Embedding Postgres "inside" an application - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Embedding Postgres "inside" an application
Date
List pgsql-general
Joe Lester <joe_lester@sweetwater.com> writes:

> Does anyone know if there's a way to embed the Postgres database
> inside an application... so that it runs transparently, without the
> user even having to know it's there? I would prefer to use Postgres,
> but I fear that I may have to resort to mySQL or some other SQL
> database that can be embedded.

You can't prevent the server from running as a separate process
(without hugely major surgery) but you can certainly embed the server
in your app bundle and run it "behind the scenes".  Picking a place
for the data files, etc might be a little tricky, but it should all be
doable.

AFAIK, MySQL also has to run as a server--I don't think you can link
to it as a library and access its databases from a single process.

-Doug