Re: Newbie-question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Newbie-question
Date
List pgsql-general
Victor Spång Arthursson <victor@tosti.dk> writes:

> Thanks for the fast answer! There doesn't seem to be any pgadmin for
> OS X, but perhaps it's possible to run in X11… I also tried out the
> phppgadmin, which I found lacking some important features that are
> availible in its counterpart for mysql, the phpmyadmin; for example
> the possibility to set autoincrement on fields.

That's done by declaring the column as type SERIAL in the first
place.  You can add it after the fact by creating a sequence and doing
ALTER TABEL ALTER COLUMN ADD DEFAULT nextval('myseq')--check the docs
for the exact syntax.  I don't know if phppgadmin lets you modify
defaults easily, but you can always just send the above query
directly...

-Doug