Re: How to find object dependencies in PG 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tim Landscheidt
Subject Re: How to find object dependencies in PG 8.4
Date
List pgsql-novice
venkatrao.b@tcs.com wrote:

> I need to find object dependencies in postgres 8.4 database. Mainly i am
> concerned about how functions are dependent(one function calling other
> one) of one another. In oracle, we have options of _dpendency views(
> user_dependecy,all_dependency and dba_dependecy).

> Is there any equivalent available in Postgres 8.4. I have seen pg_depend
> catalog, but I don't know, is this the one which i am looking for; also
> how to use this catalog (join with other catalogs ??).

> Can anyone kindly help me in this regard.

Dependencies between (non-SQL) functions and from (non-SQL)
functions on tables, views, etc. are neither automatically
discovered nor enforced (in the end that would be equivalent
to solving the halting problem anyway :-)).

  I'd really like to see an option "DEPENDS ON <function,
table, view, etc.>" for "CREATE FUNCTION" to solve this in a
reasonable manner.

Tim