Re: why no stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: why no stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-general
roypgsqlgen@xemaps.com writes:

> From what I understand, postgresql does not have any of this available to
> it.  It has procedural languages available to it, but not 'stored
> procedures'.  Functions are fine, but only being able to return one
> parameter is going to hurt performance since I will have to run more select
> statements from the client side to get any other info that my function might
> have changed.  Plus, from what I read, functions aren't compiled ahead of
> time either.

The "functions returning resultsets" problem is definitely being
looked at.  I'm not sure what the status is.

Also, whether functions are compiled and cached depends on the
procedural language in question.  PL/pgSQL definitely does this
(caches a parse tree of the function).  I don't think PL/TCL does,
but I'm not sure.  PL/pgSQL also caches query plans automatically, and
PL/TCL has support for doing it explicitly.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.