Re: [Q] Distributing a binary of postgres with my software and license - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: [Q] Distributing a binary of postgres with my software and license
Date
List pgsql-general
Sudhakar Chandra <thaths@aunet.org> writes:

> I was thinking of shipping a CD along with an installer.  The
> installer would install a web server + the php engine on the client
> coumputer.  I want to ship a binary version of PostgreSQL along with
> the CD.  I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to embed a postgresql db into an application like I
> mention.  Perhaps as a DLL (WinDOS) or as a .so (unix)?  Ideally, I do
> not want to install a full fledged DB on the client's machine.  It
> would be nice if my code  linked against a DLL/.so which took care of
> everything without the need to run a postgresql daemon on the client
> machine.

Yes, if you're willing to write a significant amount of code.

> 2. My understanding of the BSD license is that it allows this kind of
> redistribution.  Am I correct?

Yes.

> 3. If '1' were possible, can the binary database file be encrupted in
> some way?  Even a trivial encryption is fine.

See answer to #1.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/

      Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
      Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...