Re: Functions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Functions
Date
List pgsql-novice
Oops! desoi@pgedit.com (John DeSoi) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> On May 31, 2005, at 2:52 PM, Nick Jones wrote:
>
>> Aww, I was really close :) ... thanks, that works.  I believe I
>> understand it now :)  Do you normally write functions in plpgsql or
>> a different language (sql, perl, c)?  I ask so I should know where
>> to focus my learning.
>
> I like plpsql because the semantics are designed for working with
> databases and PostgreSQL in particular. I would only use a different
> language for PostgreSQL if plpgsql can't get the job done or cannot do
> it efficiently.

Perl or Python would seem preferable for scenarios where you're doing
complex manipulations on strings, as that's something those languages
can really bear down on.

For code that's really time critical, C may be necessary, but at the
cost that much more debugging need be done lest you risk Bad Crashes,
since C can "do anything" including corrupting memory nearly
spontaneously :-).

I haven't quite figured out the "use case" for pl/Java, except for the
possibility that it allows making use of third party Java classes.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lsf.html