Re: Multiple backend connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Multiple backend connections
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 06:39:06PM -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> writes:
> >
> > What is the exact error you're getting in the C program?
>
> Well, in a C program, you don't get an error message per se. But I
> inserted a call to PQresultErrorMessage() and the result is:
>
> ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: source database "template1" is being accessed by
> other users

Yeah, I get the same thing if I sit in template1 and try to 'createdb'
in another window.  I think the answer is "don't do that then."

I don't know why it cares, but it obviously does.  template1 is copied
when a new DB is created, but I'd think as long as there are no
transactions open on it, it'd be safe to copy even if someone is
connected to it.  I'm probably wrong though.

Solution: don't use template1 for anything, and avoid connecting to it
if you want CREATE DATABASE to succeeed.

> P.S. BTW, I'm s*bscr*bed, so no need to echo lists posts offlist to me.

Habit, from back when the list used to take hours to deliver
messages...

-Doug