Re: Help with BEGIN/COMMIT within a transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Help with BEGIN/COMMIT within a transaction
Date
List pgsql-general
Bhavesh Jardosh <perltastic@yahoo.com> writes:

> I aplogoize in the first place, if this is a silly question. But as silly as it
> sounds it has been giving me a hard time.
>
> I need to use BEGIN/COMMIT within a stored procedure and almost all the syntax
> (e.g. BEGIN ... COMMIT, START ... COMMIT, BEGIN WORK ... COMMIT WORK etc.)
> gives me an error when I try to execute (not when I compile) the stored
> procedure.

You can't currently do this.  Calls to functions are already inside a
(possibly implicit) transaction, so calling BEGIN inside a function
would have to start a subtransaction, which PG doesn't currently
support.  There is some possibility that this feature will be in 7.5,
but that won't be coming out anmytime soon.

-Doug