Re: some databases have not been vacuumed ... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: some databases have not been vacuumed ...
Date
List pgsql-admin
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") transmitted:
> FM wrote:
>> Hello after a vacuum full analyse I received this  :
>> WARNING:  some databases have not been vacuumed in 1805294030 transactions
>> HINT:  Better vacuum them within 342189617 transactions, or you may
>> have a wraparound failure.
>> I read that it's because i do not vacuum DB very often.
>> Now I vacuum every night but the warning remains.
>> How can I get rid of this ?
>
> Run a vacuum full on all the database.

That seems overkill.

The problem is likely that the "old tuples" are in some database not
being vacuumed.  template1 is a likely candidate; do a plain VACUUM on
that and the message may go away.

It can be *possible* for the issue to be with template0, if it had at
some point been open for modification.  If that is the case, it is a
good idea to:
 - Unlock template0 (via table pg_database)
 - Run VACUUM FREEZE on template0
 - Relock it
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")