Re: is backing up a live postgres enough? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: is backing up a live postgres enough?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Colin Stearman" <cstearman@infofind.com> writes:

> 3. An apparent bug in dumping and restoring blobs does not result in the
> restored blob having the same OID as the original.  A major problem as the
> OID is what you use to access the blob. (I have a bug report in on this.)

I have only seen this problem if the column that stores the reference
to the BLOB is *not* of type "oid".  If you store your BLOB references
in an "oid" column, pg_restore will "fix up" the references for you
when the BLOBs get renumbered.

This is kind of an annoying restriction as the automatic DB-creation
software I was using didn't support oid columns, but it does work.

-Doug