Re: Getting Network Statistics - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Getting Network Statistics
Date
List pgsql-general
Jeff Lilienstein <REMOVE-THISjeffhl@pacbell.net> writes:

>     I still need to find the number of bytes transmitted to the client.
> Oracle provides a "virtual" table, V$SESSTAT that provides that
> information, but I have no idea how to get that information from
> Postgres, or if that is not possible, from the operating system.

There are a couple of possibilities here:

1) Patch Postgres so it tracks bytes sent over a connection socket,
   (it definitely doesn't do this now) and writes out the total to a
   logfile when the connection is closed.  This might not be too hard,
   depending on the modularity of the code.

2) Figure out a way to get per-socket statistics from your OS.

-Doug