Re: index and min() - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: index and min()
Date
List pgsql-sql
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, sarek@ozaba.cx transmitted:
> SELECT min(inserttime) FROM acc_pb; which takes about 11 seconds to
> complete.
>
> On the mssql server this takes less than 1 second.

If you have NO index on inserttime, then the best that can be done is
the sequential scan that you saw.

If there is an index on inserttime, then the PostgreSQL idiom that
provides a _massive_ speedup is the query:
select inserttime from acc_pb order by inserttime limit 1;

In theory, it ought to be a nifty idea to have a way of automatically
transforming the min(inserttime) query into what I showed, but that is
likely to be difficult to do in general, and nobody has yet proposed
an implementation, so you'll have to do that yourself.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html