Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Clinging to sanity, scrappy@postgresql.org ("Marc G. Fournier") mumbled into her beard:
> You argue that its a much demanded feature ... and I tend to agree
> ... but by including it as part of the 'RDBMS" release, ppl are going
> to either gloss over it because its not too prominent, or have their
> focus shifted away from the big stuff in 8.0.0 (NT, PITR, native
> Win32) because its too prominent ...

I look forward to seeing someone get around to writing some Actual
Text describing some of those features.

As far as I can see, thus far, the disputing about whether 'certain
extras' should or should not be mentioned in the press release has
spectacularly outweighed any discussion of things that clearly MUST be
discussed in the press release.

What we're seeing, thus far, is an attempt to sculpture an elephant by
trying to describe what bits of chisel work _shouldn't_ be visible.

In contrast, supposing these efforts were put into building GOOD
MATERIAL, perhaps everyone would forget that there was any reason they
imagined it a good idea to discuss extraneous matters in the press
release.  (I think that's a reach, myself.  Some of those "add-ons"
seem, shall I say, _WORTH TAKING ADVANTAGE OF_.)

How about we have fewer questions about what shouldn't be there, and
more concrete proposals of "Here!  This is what should be said about
X."?
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html