Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > Every time PostgreSQL is discussed, be that slashdot or LWN or other
> > forums or even interviews with any of out competitors, the statement is
> > "doesn't have replication". If we avoid the topic in our 8.0 press
> > release and leave out the word replication, instead of pointing to the
> > reasons why it is *better not to have replication builtin*, we will
> > lose. People will read the press release, don't see the word
> > replication, so "No Replication - checkmark".
>
> Except that "Have Replication" to those claiming 'No Replicatin' means
> "Integrated with the Server", we still don't *have* Replication in their
> minds, no matter how many external projects that do it we mention ;(

Both Joshua Drake and Marc sell commercial replication solutions.  Do
you think it is fair of the community to mention BSD-licensed
replication solutions in our press release while not mentioning
commercial ones?

I do.