Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
List pgsql-advocacy
> Both Joshua Drake and Marc sell commercial replication solutions.  Do
> you think it is fair of the community to mention BSD-licensed
> replication solutions in our press release while not mentioning
> commercial ones?
>
> I do.

I don't. At Command Prompt we practice a very simple theory:

If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you.

Command Prompt tries to do the same with the Community. We try
to take care of the community by:

Donating many thousands of dollars worth of IP in the form of:

    plPHP
    plPerlNG
         pgManage
         ECPG (additions to)

Donating extremely valuable time and resources:

    Free Support (IRC, Mailing Lists)
    Free Bandwidth (Relay of mailing lists)
    Arranging for the OSCON Booth

Direct monetary contributions (Which I won't mention to whom).

PgSQL, Inc. does many of the same things including hosting 98% of the
bandwidth and servers for the PostgreSQL Project.

RedHat by the extreme liberties of Tom Lane (bow to the buddha)

Afilias by Slony and Jan (and Andrew I think)

SRA -- Tatsuo Ishii

In return we "hope" that the community will help take care of us, so we
can continue to provide these resources.

I am not saying that the project should go gone how about commercial
products, but helping increase the visibility of major contributing
companies/products/projects will only HELP the community.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Attachment