Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re : Solaris Performance - Profiling (Solved)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:

> I noticed poor performance on Solaris, does one see this problem
> when compiling PostgreSQL with gcc on solaris?

Since it's libc that's the culprit, I would imagine so.

> As a suggestion, why not find the *best* version of qsort available,
> anywhere, and always use that version on all platforms?

Because qsort() is *supposed* to be optimized by the vendor for their
platform, perhaps even written in assembler.  It makes sense to trust
the vendor except when their implementation is provably pessimized.

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/
     Custom software development, systems and network consulting.     Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache