Re: Globally Unique IDs? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Globally Unique IDs?
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:

> I believe Oracle's SYS_GUID will return an ID unique *throughout the world*
> on *all hosts*. Other software uses GUID's for thinks like COM identifiers.
> Typical output looks like:
>
> 351e1cc0-2540-11d5-a5cd-00036d15ee51
>
> and is generated through some heuristics involving the current date, time,
> MAC address, etc. I don't know the specifics -- except that the ID
> generated will not be generated by anyone else anywhere. This would be a
> useful addition, IMHO.

I can see this being useful but I'm not sure it should go into the
core system--it could be an external function in the contrib/
section.  We've gotten along without it so far...

Oracle is a great system but it suffers from extreme bloat.

Just MHO of course...

-Doug