Re: vacuum by non-owner - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: vacuum by non-owner
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Stover <richard@ucolick.org> writes:

> This is what I was trying to avoid. I'd have to run the script
> every five minutes, even if it isn't needed, to handle the
> times when it is. That just seemed like sort of a clumsy way
> to handle the problem. But perhaps this is the best
> solution?

With Postgres 7.2 and later, regular VACUUM (not FULL) is very
lightweight.  The less work it has to do, the quicker it will run.
Vacuuming frequently in 7.2+ also reduces the pressure on FSM (free
space map) memory, so you can get away with less of it.

-Doug